One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A migratory Eurasian and North African leaf warbler with drab plumage.
Genus Phylloscopus, family Sylviidae: two species, in particular the common P. collybita
- ‘In another group of bushes I found a chiffchaff hopping around.’
- ‘Meanwhile birds like blackcaps and chiffchaffs, which are wintering closer to home, are less likely to face bad timing with their food supply.’
- ‘People on the one to two-hour guided walks may also hear warblers such as the blackcap, the garden warbler, the reed warbler, the sedge warbler and the chiffchaff.’
- ‘Any other two species with DNA this close (willow warblers and chiffchaffs for instance) are invariably considered members of the same genus.’
- ‘Great-spotted woodpeckers drum while chiffchaffs, blackcaps, chaffinches and wrens sing their hearts out.’
Late 18th century: imitative of its call.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.