One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The titular head of a nation as distinct from the head of the government.
- ‘The president is both chief of state and head of government.’
- ‘The president is the chief of state and is elected by the National People's Congress for a five-year term.’
- ‘There's no inherent reason why a woman can't serve as our chief of state.’
- ‘The president is elected by popular vote for a six-year period and is both the chief of state and head of government.’
- ‘Social stratification existed, with political power residing in a chief of state or a royal family, depending on the size of the state.’
- ‘The whole nation forms one single labor army with compulsory service; the commander of this army is the chief of state.’
- ‘The monarch is chief of state and the prime minister is head of government.’
- ‘From these objectives, government officials develop, and chiefs of state approve, national strategies designed to achieve these national objectives.’
- ‘In Argentina the president is both the chief of state and head of government.’
- ‘He was a chief of state, as opposed to an operating officer.’
- ‘Saudi Arabia remains a kingdom with a monarch as its active chief of state.’
- ‘As during the Cold War era, the links with Latin America's military commanders and chiefs of state are reinforced by institutions like the US Army's School of the Americas.’
- ‘What he means is that he does not want to bear the burden of responsibility as the chief of state.’
- ‘The chiefs of state are the British monarch and the New Zealand high commissioner.’
- ‘The present constitution was adopted in 1993 and stipulates that the head of government is also the chief of state and appoints the council of ministers.’
- ‘A chief of state who propels his country into war on the basis of false claims of an urgent threat is not fit to rule.’
- ‘The president, who is elected for a maximum of two five-year terms, is both chief of state and head of the government.’
- ‘Bahrain is a traditional monarchy in which the king is the chief of state.’
- ‘Bulgaria's chief of state is an elected president, and the head of government is a prime minister selected by the largest parliamentary group.’
- ‘It needs a chief of state who will provide a sense of intention.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.