One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small plant of the pink family with deeply cleft white petals, often growing as a garden weed and sometimes eaten by poultry.
- ‘Perennial geraniums live forever, are easy to grow from seed and once established, spread and self-seed as madly as chickweed.’
- ‘She continued hoeing out the chickweed and dandelions.’
- ‘Whether or not it is so, it is still funny that out of all things they prefer chickweed.’
- ‘This field had been fallow the previous year, and it was already blanketed with wild mustard, violets, chickweed, and wild parsnip.’
- ‘Fast-growing fall cover crops outcompete late-season weeds like quack grass and chickweed.’
- ‘Many winter annual weeds, including common chickweed, purple deadnettle, henbit, and cressleaf groundsel, have become increasingly problematic in corn, soybean, and wheat production.’
- ‘In the spring, the pheasant mamas will bring their chicks to picnic on the chickweed.’
- ‘Some weeds, such as chickweed, common groundsel, and bittercress, may germinate and grow at almost any time of year.’
- ‘Toss together chickweed with lemon juice and grapeseed oil.’
- ‘The targeted pests were chickweed, prickly lettuce, and root-knot nematode.’
- ‘On the opposite extreme, shallow-rooted ground cover weeds such as ground ivy and chickweed help prevent erosion and prevent soil crusting when dry.’
- ‘Those edible ‘weeds’ include chickweed, lambs quarters and stinging nettles.’
- ‘A very good fasting tea is a combination of nettles, chickweed and fennel seed which also helps in weight reduction.’
- ‘Chickweed oil which is a good lotion for skin ailments is made by placing an ounce of dried chickweed in olive oil.’
- ‘I once took my boys to a park that had a little pond covered in chickweed.’
- ‘Drizzle vinaigrette around the dish and garnish with chickweed.’
- ‘Researchers report that controlling weeds such as purple deadnettle, henbit and chickweed may help keep SCN numbers down.’
- ‘When the chickweed is seeding, they go after those seeds first.’
- ‘It is especially effective on crabgrass, goosegrass, and chickweed.’
- ‘Again, this is a place to include uncultivated herbs such as dandelion, chicory, chickweed, malva, watercress, nettles and mustard greens.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.