Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for grass pea
- ‘The chickling pea is cultivated for its edible seed in India and the Middle East, but see notes above on toxicity.’
- ‘For example, the neurological disorder lathyrism (paralysis of the lower limbs) is caused by eating chickling peas that contain a potent neurotoxic amino acid.’
- ‘It is chickling pea, not chickpea.’
- ‘An especially hardy plant, the chickling pea historically has served as an inexpensive survival food for the poor of certain developing countries.’
- ‘The chickling pea is unfortunately often confused with the edible and widely used chickpea.’
Mid 16th century: based on obsolete chich chickpea.
chickling pea/ˈCHikliNG ˌpē/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.