Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Light wire netting with a hexagonal mesh.
- ‘The structure has thick walls of snow and ice, reinforced with wooden arches, metal bands, chicken wire and refrigeration lines.’
- ‘These cylinders, measuring but a nanometer or so in diameter, display a surface of hexagonal carbon rings that give the material the appearance of a honeycomb or chicken wire.’
- ‘If rats still prove a problem, you can use chicken wire to keep them at bay.’
- ‘To prevent deer from damaging young trees and shrubs, surround them with wire cages made from chicken wire or hardware mesh.’
- ‘Some people use chicken wire or fly wire screen.’
- ‘They've also covered the lower rungs of a barrier with chicken wire to stop youngsters climbing up on it and falling into the track.’
- ‘For those who insist on leaving their cats on elevated balconies, she recommends chicken wire to prevent cats climbing onto ledges.’
- ‘A bit of chicken wire and plastic mesh lend bulk but not mass.’
- ‘The homes of the poorest are built of flimsy materials: bamboo, cardboard, chicken wire, newspaper, tin cans, boards and other scavenged materials.’
- ‘What is the correct method of disposal for rusty chicken wire?’
- ‘To keep those leaves from blowing away, he puts down a layer of chicken wire on top of the entire bed and stakes the wire down.’
- ‘They surrounded the town with chicken wire and you can't even see it now.’
- ‘Bitter experience leads me to suggest covering the newly planted containers with chicken wire to prevent squirrels from digging the whole lot up again.’
- ‘As you work, you can reinforce the shape by using chicken wire - the regular old chicken wire you find at a hardware or farm supply store.’
- ‘She said material similar to chicken wire mesh would be temporarily laid on some sections of the bank of the River Foss.’
- ‘Structurally, graphite consists of sheets of carbon atoms linked hexagonally like chicken wire.’
- ‘The only sure-fire way to protect tulips and crocuses and other tasty bulb treats from squirrels is to lay wire mesh such as chicken wire on top of the bed.’
- ‘It's a handmade crawfish trap - a large tube fashioned from chicken wire.’
- ‘Sandwich the lights between a second layer of chicken wire and secure the layers with cable ties.’
- ‘Floral art is now significantly more sophisticated, involving everything from pine, to bark, to wooden structures and chicken wire.’
chicken wire/ˈCHikən ˌwī(ə)r/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.