One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Light wire netting with a hexagonal mesh.
- ‘As you work, you can reinforce the shape by using chicken wire - the regular old chicken wire you find at a hardware or farm supply store.’
- ‘The homes of the poorest are built of flimsy materials: bamboo, cardboard, chicken wire, newspaper, tin cans, boards and other scavenged materials.’
- ‘These cylinders, measuring but a nanometer or so in diameter, display a surface of hexagonal carbon rings that give the material the appearance of a honeycomb or chicken wire.’
- ‘Some people use chicken wire or fly wire screen.’
- ‘To prevent deer from damaging young trees and shrubs, surround them with wire cages made from chicken wire or hardware mesh.’
- ‘Structurally, graphite consists of sheets of carbon atoms linked hexagonally like chicken wire.’
- ‘A bit of chicken wire and plastic mesh lend bulk but not mass.’
- ‘To keep those leaves from blowing away, he puts down a layer of chicken wire on top of the entire bed and stakes the wire down.’
- ‘They surrounded the town with chicken wire and you can't even see it now.’
- ‘For those who insist on leaving their cats on elevated balconies, she recommends chicken wire to prevent cats climbing onto ledges.’
- ‘Floral art is now significantly more sophisticated, involving everything from pine, to bark, to wooden structures and chicken wire.’
- ‘What is the correct method of disposal for rusty chicken wire?’
- ‘She said material similar to chicken wire mesh would be temporarily laid on some sections of the bank of the River Foss.’
- ‘Sandwich the lights between a second layer of chicken wire and secure the layers with cable ties.’
- ‘The only sure-fire way to protect tulips and crocuses and other tasty bulb treats from squirrels is to lay wire mesh such as chicken wire on top of the bed.’
- ‘Bitter experience leads me to suggest covering the newly planted containers with chicken wire to prevent squirrels from digging the whole lot up again.’
- ‘The structure has thick walls of snow and ice, reinforced with wooden arches, metal bands, chicken wire and refrigeration lines.’
- ‘It's a handmade crawfish trap - a large tube fashioned from chicken wire.’
- ‘They've also covered the lower rungs of a barrier with chicken wire to stop youngsters climbing up on it and falling into the track.’
- ‘If rats still prove a problem, you can use chicken wire to keep them at bay.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.