One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Easily frightened; cowardly.
timid, timorous, nervous, easily scared, easily frightened, scared, fearful, afraid, trembling, quaking, cowering, dauntedView synonyms
- ‘Chicken-hearted people always feel that the other guy is either equally chicken-hearted or plain crazy.’
- ‘It is incumbent upon me, as leader, to stamp out this sort of morale-sapping, chicken-hearted nonsense.’
- ‘It is an unalloyed good, and it is sad to see our politicians responding with such chicken-hearted paranoia.’
- ‘Obviously, David had noticed our unexpected visitors at the river and made for home as fast as his chicken-hearted legs could carry him.’
- ‘We look so chicken-livered to the rest of the world that they think they can easily intimidate us into doing what they want.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.