Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thin piece of beef that is lightly battered and fried until crisp.
- ‘One dish that warrants a drive from Houston is the chicken-fried steak.’
- ‘And I made her give me her recipe for chicken-fried steak.’
- ‘The food is quite good - Mexican, barbecue, chili, shrimp and chicken-fried steak, an acquired taste.’
- ‘Maybe the new place's chicken-fried steak has less breading than your familiar spot.’
- ‘Legendary gossip columnist Liz Smith grew up on grits and gravy and chicken-fried steak, and fortunately for us, she's not about to switch sides now.’
- ‘He was a big man, a generous and wise man, searching for the perfect martini, the perfect chicken-fried steak, and the perfect mountain.’
- ‘Another evening's first-course special of fried oysters wore a cloak of extra-crunchy batter that made me swear to try Atkinson's chicken-fried steak next time.’
- ‘I know it sounds cute, especially to those of you who miss Cottonwood Cafe, but frankly, chicken-fried steak only tastes right when it costs less than $10.’
- ‘There was a beautiful chicken-fried steak, a pile of fluffy mashed potatoes, and green beans.’
- ‘Tonight I'm planning to make chicken-fried steak.’
- ‘The menu offers such eclectic fare as Greek salad, New Mexico meatloaf special, and chicken-fried steak.’
- ‘Cook up some chicken-fried steak and black-eyed peas.’
- ‘I grew up in Oklahoma where I had chicken-fried steak and mashed potatoes for every meal.’
- ‘After all, my condescension was based almost solely on those childhood experiences in Oklahoma, a state much better known for chicken-fried steak than for Peking duck.’
- ‘You can't beat the chicken-fried steak and collard greens.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.