One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an indigenous people of Colombia whose well-developed political structure was destroyed by Europeans.
- ‘The Chibchas, who lived in the Bogotá region, were the largest indigenous group.’
- ‘The original inhabitants of the great plateaus of the Andean highlands in central Colombia were known as Chibchas.’
- ‘Unlike the Chibcha Indians, the Muzo defied Spanish conquest and hid their emerald deposits for nearly twenty years.’
- ‘The leader of the Chibcha was terrified of the mounted Spanish soldiers, certain that they were demons.’
- ‘Among the more ghoulish ancient usages were those by the Chibcha Indians of Colombia.’
2The extinct Chibchan language of the Chibcha.
- ‘There are still twenty-five surviving indigenous languages belonging to three linguistic families: Caribans, Arawak, and Chibcha.’
Relating to the Chibcha or their language.
American Spanish, from Chibcha zipa ‘chief, hereditary leader’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.