One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The X-shaped structure formed at the point below the brain where the two optic nerves cross over each other.
- ‘The dura that invests the optic chiasma can be traced from the chiasma along the optic nerve.’
A point at which paired chromosomes remain in contact during the first metaphase of meiosis, and at which crossing over and exchange of genetic material occur between the strands.
- ‘A given factor s can affect the recombination rate r through a change in the number of chiasmata occurring during meiosis.’
- ‘Genetic recombination is absent and no chiasmata are formed in bivalents.’
- ‘During meiosis, homologous chromosomes become physically connected by the formation of chiasmata.’
- ‘However, the observed differences may be conditional on the chromosomal location of the chiasmata.’
- ‘First, it generates crossovers between homologous chromosomes that mature into visible chiasmata.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek chiasma ‘crosspiece, cross-shaped mark’, from khiazein ‘mark with the letter chi’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.