One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A monogram of chi (Χ) and rho (Ρ) as the first two letters of Greek Khristos Christ, used as a Christian symbol.
- ‘Christian iconography on the decorated wall-plaster, including two chi-rhos and six figures with arms outstretched in prayer, suggests that the owners were ardent Christians.’
- ‘The site may be particularly important because of its proximity to the famous Hinton St Mary mosaic depicting a chi-rho design.’
- ‘A small oil lamp with a chi-rho monogram stood in a small display case.’
- ‘Additionally, on the monument are the stars of David and chi-rhos.’
- ‘The chi-rho became extremely popular after Emperor Constantine adopted the symbol for his military banners after seeing a vision of it in the sky.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.