One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A padded covering worn over the chest by a catcher or umpire as protection against fouled-off or errant pitches.
- ‘The catcher's gear was far less elaborate, consisting largely of a simple mask, shin guards and chest protector.’
- ‘I want to show up with a catcher's mask, chest protector and shin guards.’
- ‘There was a time when American League umpires, who continued to wear outside chest protectors, gave a pitcher the high strike.’
- ‘If the plate umpire went back to wearing the outside, balloon chest protector, he'd get a better view of the plate at least in reference to wide pitches or ones that cut the corner.’
- ‘It isn't known precisely how the game was played, or if the umpires wore chest protectors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.