One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A padded covering worn over the chest by a catcher or umpire as protection against fouled-off or errant pitches.
- ‘There was a time when American League umpires, who continued to wear outside chest protectors, gave a pitcher the high strike.’
- ‘I want to show up with a catcher's mask, chest protector and shin guards.’
- ‘It isn't known precisely how the game was played, or if the umpires wore chest protectors.’
- ‘The catcher's gear was far less elaborate, consisting largely of a simple mask, shin guards and chest protector.’
- ‘If the plate umpire went back to wearing the outside, balloon chest protector, he'd get a better view of the plate at least in reference to wide pitches or ones that cut the corner.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.