One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of furniture consisting of a set of drawers in a frame, typically used for storing clothes.
- ‘There is also a pretty marble fireplace with an ornate tiled inset, a built-in cherrywood bookcase and a matching chest of drawers.’
- ‘There is another double bedroom at the rear of the house with a range of fitted wardrobes and a chest of drawers.’
- ‘It has recently been fitted with a range of mahogany storage units over and around the bed, as well as a second wardrobe and chest of drawers.’
- ‘She looked around the room and was surprised to see a simple bed, chest of drawers, and an open small closet.’
- ‘It wasn't very big, just enough room for his bed, a wardrobe, a chest of drawers and a desk.’
- ‘It had a four-poster bed, a leather upholstered chair, and a chest of drawers with a large vanity mirror.’
- ‘We had already started a fire, cleaned the stone floor and took off large pieces of cloth, which had covered a chest of drawers and a bed frame.’
- ‘On the wall opposite the bed and next to the door was her wardrobe and chest of drawers.’
- ‘Some of his first pieces include a chest of drawers, a double dresser and some pedestals.’
- ‘It was a nice room, very similar to mine, with a bed, a small table, and a chest of drawers.’
- ‘During the second half of the eighteenth century, the ubiquitous storage trunks began to be replaced by wardrobes and chests of drawers.’
- ‘A desk, a bed, a chest of drawers, and an old black piano were the only things the room.’
- ‘All those thin cotton clothes have already made their way back into deeper recesses of wardrobes or chests of drawers.’
- ‘Both have extensive wardrobes, chests of drawers and dressing tables.’
- ‘Small and rectangular, the chamber housed a mahogany bed, chest of drawers, washbasin and vanity.’
- ‘There was a delicately made chest of drawers and a vanity table.’
- ‘Inside, he quickly opened the big wicker chest of drawers to find a garment.’
- ‘Four items stood along one wall: two tall chests of drawers, an antique wardrobe, and a steamer trunk, its lid propped open with a block of wood.’
- ‘The walls were covered with tranquil, light wallpaper and there was a single cupboard and a chest of drawers by the side of the room.’
- ‘While there is no built-in storage other than a set of open shelves, there is plenty of room for a wardrobe and chest of drawers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.