One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A square board divided into sixty-four alternating dark and light squares, used for playing chess or checkers.
- ‘The rows are set so that anyone traversing them will have a much smoother run moving in straight lines, like a castle on a chessboard.’
- ‘Inside it was a large chessboard with multiple chess figures shaped like humans.’
- ‘Also, it's the number of squares on the chessboard.’
- ‘He's no doubt sitting in a room somewhere, still with his pocket chessboard, going through chess games.’
- ‘Remember that even though your fantasy players seem like pawns on a chessboard, the game is played on the field.’
- ‘‘Board vision’ is the specialized ability to recognize what is happening on the chessboard.’
- ‘He sat in the dark living room, doing nothing but staring at the chessboard on the coffee table.’
- ‘Ally's favorite photograph of the night was one of a chessboard that was perfectly set up, save for two pawns that had fallen over.’
- ‘Great players have their own way of injecting life into any situation on the chessboard.’
- ‘His king offered him a reward, but instead of gold he asked for one grain of rice doubled for each successive square on a chessboard.’
- ‘Orders for games included 48 chessboards and chessmen, 12 sets of fox and geese, 6 sets of jackstraws, 9 boxes of ninepins, and 3 sets of German tactics.’
- ‘The chessboard was still sitting there from last night, the game left unfinished.’
- ‘One can teach the strategy of chess while the other facilitates creating the chessboard and pieces.’
- ‘The playground is now a more pleasant and interesting place for the children with grid games, such as hopscotch, jigsaws, target games and three chessboards with draught pieces.’
- ‘Place the Queen on a chessboard and pass her over the entire sixty-four squares and back again to the point of beginning in fourteen moves.’
- ‘The pieces on the chessboard get removed, not the chess players.’
- ‘Just get away from the chessboard and any thoughts bringing you back to it, at least until your renewal is complete and you simply must play chess.’
- ‘What more can one do than point to a chessboard and explain the rules of the game, perhaps paying particular attention to the black king as one does so?’
- ‘The stereotypical embodiment of such games is the classic chessboard, in all its variations.’
- ‘Of all the pieces on a chessboard, the Knight is the most feared among beginners.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.