Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The attribute of grace, benevolence, or compassion, especially (in Kabbalism) as one of the sephiroth.
- ‘For God to have created the world at all was nothing short of an act of chesed!’
- ‘Abraham was famous for his acts of chesed, kindness.’
- ‘God is also constantly engaged in sustaining all of Creation through acts of chesed.’
- ‘Within the sphere of visible action, chesed is without cause, a proactive expression of expansiveness.’
- ‘Thus the act of chesed is an act whose dynamics lie in the giver's domain.’
Hebrew ḥeseḏ ‘grace, lovingkindness’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.