Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system in which the chemical composition is kept at a controlled level, especially for the culture of microorganisms.
- ‘However, even bacteria confined to chemostats can subvert our plans for them, inventing new niches instead of refining methods for exploiting those we had defined.’
- ‘For example, one such bottleneck may occur during reinoculation of a chemostat, when tubes are changed.’
- ‘Imagine a chemostat inoculated with a single clone.’
- ‘In some respects our study mirrors results from earlier studies of chemostats and other protocols of high-density passage with microbes.’
- ‘Temperature is controlled by immersing the chemostat growth chamber in a 37° water bath.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.