Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sensory cell or organ responsive to chemical stimuli.
- ‘This response is mediated primarily through the peripheral chemoreceptors.’
- ‘The central hydrogen ion chemoreceptors are somewhat redundant, sensing the same stimulus as the carotid bodies.’
- ‘Central chemoreceptors are distributed at many locations within the brainstem.’
- ‘For this reason, we would not expect this to cause stimulation of the chemoreceptors, which would affect autonomic modulation.’
- ‘A variety of inputs from chemoreceptors and mechanoreceptors can contribute to the arousal response that terminates a period of apnea in OSA patients.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.