Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The emission of light during a chemical reaction which does not produce significant quantities of heat.
- ‘Natural sources of chemiluminescence include fireflies, glow-worms and a variety of bacteria and fungi.’
- ‘One area of current interest is how low-level chemiluminescence arises from the reaction between hydroperoxide and Hb.’
- ‘Electrogenerated chemiluminescence can be employed as an analytical tool.’
- ‘The secondary antibody was detected by chemiluminescence.’
- ‘The amount of chemiluminescence is proportional to the quantity of the amplified product.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.