One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An elastic-sided, ankle-high boot.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘Men wore Panama hats and Italian spats, American suits and Chelsea boots, Oxford bags and Texan ties.’
- ‘Originally a part of English riding attire, the Chelsea boots became a 60s must-have fashion accessory in 1961.’
- ‘In other news, I have bought some black Chelsea boots.’
- ‘Other accessories include beards and sideburns (confirming that hairy faces are back) and for your feet there's desert boots, brogues and Chelsea boots for extra comfy rambling.’
- ‘For men, the leather soled Chelsea boot zip-up or pull-on is the boot to have.’
- ‘So before people throw out their Chelsea boots they should come down and be part of the revival.’
- ‘We were on a plane, it was dark and he had taken off the Chelsea boots he always wore.’
- ‘I had treated myself to a new pair of Chelsea boots, the type with wooden soles and top notch leather.’
- ‘Trim and healthy looking, he is dressed in an open-necked check shirt and Chelsea boots.’
- ‘Women, brace yourselves for stacked heels, and men, the Chelsea boot looks best with a pair of low-rise dirty denim jeans.’
- ‘Last Thursday night, mullets, frilly blouses, baggy pants, pointy suede Chelsea boots, blue mascara and shoulder pads were all the rage at the Point.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.