Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A reptile of the order "Testudines"(formerly "Chelonia"); a turtle, terrapin, or tortoise.
- ‘However, some chelonians may depend heavily upon body lipid reserves to complete vitellogenesis and egg production.’
- ‘The program she directs is to study the diversity and biology of southern Africa's chelonians (tortoises and turtles).’
- ‘Most studies of the locomotor performance of reptiles have focused on lizards, with chelonians, especially hatchlings and juveniles, being largely overlooked.’
- ‘The capital, income and mixed reproductive strategies, originally described for birds, have been applied to other organisms including chelonians.’
- ‘Among tetrapods, most species of mammals, birds, amphibians, and chelonians are larger at higher latitudes.’
Relating to or denoting chelonians.
- ‘In this article the chelonian fauna of the Portezuelo Formation is described.’
- ‘As a chelonian keeper, Chris has worked with several tortoises, and north American freshwater turtles.’
- ‘Over the last 15 years, the focus of Sal's herp interests has been primarily dedicated to chelonian husbandry.’
- ‘This drug is perhaps the most commonly used treatment in chelonian medicine.’
- ‘A second drug that is widely utilized in chelonian medicine is Baytril.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.