Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
noun & adjective
- former term for Abbevillian
- ‘The most ancient stages are the so-called Chellean, followed by the Acheulean and then the Mousterian.’
- ‘His search, however, was for proof of the use of a specific Chellean hand-axe style found in other parts of the world.’
- ‘This is a satire about the introduction of systematic education to meet survival needs in a prehistoric tribe in the Chellean times.’
- ‘This article will take up the Eolith display, and the Pre-Chellean, Chellean, and Acheulian periods.’
- ‘Thus the evidence points clearly to the Chellean or Lower Tyrrhenian age.’
Late 19th century: from French Chelléen, from Chelles, near Paris, where tools from this period were discovered.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.