One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A therapy for mercury or lead poisoning that binds the toxins in the bloodstream by circulating a chelating solution.
- ‘Appropriate medical management involves a thorough clinical evaluation and possible cautious use of chelation therapy in children with refractory blood lead levels.’
- ‘In any case, chelation therapy is not covered by Medicare nor will most insurance companies pay for it.’
- ‘A follow-up study on the blood heavy metals levels of factory workers and surrounding inhabitants is also indicated, with the introduction of chelation therapy to prevent metal poisoning.’
- ‘Treatment is based on chelation therapy, in which a drug is administered that binds the lead and allows it to be excreted safely from the body.’
- 1.1 A form of complementary therapy involving the intravenous infusion of substances intended to remove calcium from hardened arteries.
- ‘This, fittingly, is the same mentality that brought us bypass surgery as a first resort, then consider suggesting diet, exercise, and nutritional supplementation, not to mention chelation therapy.’
- ‘The neurologist diagnosed Wilson's disease (hepatolenticular degeneration) and Andrew was started on chelation therapy in a specialist centre.’
- ‘But chelation therapy can also remove necessary substances from the vital organs.’
- ‘Psychological support is important in managing chelation therapy and other aspects of the condition.’
- ‘Study participants will receive 30 weekly infusions of EDTA chelation therapy followed by 10 bimonthly infusions.’
- ‘These data demonstrate that EDTA chelation therapy results in significantly increased urinary losses of lead, zinc, cadmium, and calcium following EDTA chelation therapy.’
- ‘None of these children had levels that required chelation therapy, as stipulated in CDC case-management guidelines.’
- ‘In many patients, the need for transfusion and chelation therapy may be life-long.’
- ‘I suggest to those members that there might be more in the system - more in chelation therapy - than that member over there gives it credit for.’
- ‘What is the Government doing to promote the use of alternative health therapies, and can the Minister advise whether any such proposals will include an evaluation of chelation therapy?’
- ‘Treatment may range from avoiding further exposure if levels are borderline to chelation therapy if it is high.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.