Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large spotted cat found in Africa and parts of Asia. It is the fastest animal on land.
- ‘He even studied the running form of fast animals, including cheetahs and greyhounds.’
- ‘The East is the nesting place of the eagle and hawk, but also the home of mountain sheep and African cheetahs.’
- ‘Here, in open vehicles, accompanied by rangers and trackers, you are virtually guaranteed close-ups of lions, leopards and cheetahs, and possibly even wild dogs.’
- ‘Impalas normally stay in small herds for protection from lions, cheetahs and other enemies.’
- ‘An innovative program that provides guard dogs to livestock farmers at a modest cost may be helping to save wild cheetahs in southern Africa.’
- ‘Ancestors of cheetahs and lions and elephants existed in North America some 13,000 years ago.’
- ‘The dogs, Anatolian shepherds, live with the livestock on the range and protect them from cheetahs and leopards.’
- ‘At Australia Zoo, we're getting two male cheetahs from Africa and two females cheetahs from another zoo in Australia.’
- ‘I worked with the big cats, lions, cheetahs, and eventually the tigers.’
- ‘By day, follow expert Masai guides on foot to spot lions, cheetahs, and wildebeests without disturbing their habitats.’
- ‘Unlike the males, which move about in bachelor groups of two or three and who like to hunt together, female cheetahs move about and hunt singly.’
- ‘The White Oak plantation in the north of the state is a 7,500 acre area of conservation where rhinos, cheetahs, zebras and giraffes roam freely.’
- ‘In a single morning you can see lion, leopard, cheetah, wild dog and unlimited plains game.’
- ‘I don't rightly know how these panthers and cheetahs and tigers came to inhabit the park in the first place.’
- ‘Fleet-footed animals, such as gazelles and cheetahs, aren't the only livings things that rely on speed for their survival.’
- ‘First, I tested whether cheetahs avoid hyenas and lions.’
- ‘Lions, leopards and cheetahs catch and eat their own dinner.’
- ‘But changing human attitudes toward cheetahs is only part of the battle to save Earth's fastest land mammal.’
- ‘Some of the animals highlighted in the photographs include lions, cheetahs, rhinos, hippos, giraffes and chimpanzees.’
- ‘With the grace of a snake and the speed of a cheetah, it snatches the rodent in its teeth and yanks it into the burrow.’
Late 18th century: from Hindi cītā, perhaps from Sanskrit citraka leopard.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.