One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thin strip of pastry, flavored with cheese and eaten as a snack.
- ‘Think of them as the best of department store tearoom cuisine - favorites such as shrimp cocktails, chicken salad, and cheese straws.’
- ‘While they didn't have religion in common, and they were 30 years apart in age, I believe my mother learned much from Trudy - most importantly how to make her cheese straws and her yeast rolls, which appear in the book.’
- ‘Conversation ebbs and flows, and from time to time, our host's wife floats through and offers us cheese straws.’
- ‘Intersperse with peanuts, cheese straws and pork scratchings and you'll be fine.’
- ‘I don't eat a starter for my Christmas dinner as I think it spoils the treat, but a little smoked salmon on brown bread or a few cheese straws about an hour before takes the edge off the wait.’
- ‘Drinks at 5 are compulsory, and must be accompanied by cheese straws.’
- ‘In addition to purchasing thousands of $29 DVD players this holiday season, customers also bought Tibetan yak cheese, pomegranate molasses and zero carb cheese straws.’
- ‘Well actually I'm full of cheese straws and Kit-Kats, but that's the fault of Lisa's mother.’
- ‘We received what looked like crisps but were in fact incredible cheese straws.’
- ‘With the return of the cocktail party comes the rebirth of that old-fashioned appetizer, the cheese straw.’
- ‘Other goodies to throw in the basket: smoked almonds, Ghirardelli or Godiva chocolate, cheese straws (in Houston, Leibman's are the best), even soaps or candles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.