One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Expressing good wishes before drinking.‘“Cheers,” she said, raising her glass’
here's to you, good health, your health, here's health, skol, good luckView synonyms
- ‘For the betterment of them we shall eat, cheers!’
- ‘But now we have and it should be read tongue in cheek and beer in hand - cheers!’
2British Expressing good wishes on parting or ending a conversation.‘“Cheers, Jack, see you later.”’goodbye, farewell, adieuView synonyms
- 2.1 Expressing gratitude or acknowledgment for something.‘Billy tossed him the key. “Cheers, pal.”’
thanks, many thanks, thanks a lot, thank you, thank you kindly, much obliged, much appreciated, bless youView synonyms
- ‘The lads certainly appreciated your support - cheers!’
- 2.1 Expressing gratitude or acknowledgment for something.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.