One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A shrill squeaky cry made by a bird, typically a young one.
- ‘The little birds in the tree kept up a constant cheep of complaint, but it didn't break cover.’
- ‘As you follow it along the street you begin to hear the cheeps and trills of other birds launching into a discordant chorus.’
- ‘House sparrows sing by stringing together a variety of cheeps, chirps and ‘chissiks’, and flocks can make a loud noise during courtship rituals.’
- ‘If you think nature sounds CDs are merely soft, relaxing waterfalls and bird cheeps to calm you down after a long hard day, listen again.’
- 1.1 A sound resembling the shrill squeaky cry made by a bird.‘an electronic cheep from the alarm’
- ‘A young woman with bright red lips and a high-pitched cheep of a voice flew at me.’
- ‘She made about five and was on the sixth when she heard something fall on the floor and a frightened cheep from the other room.’
- ‘As the mechanical creatures quietened, a faint cheep could be heard, then a sort of indignant squawk.’
- ‘Paralysed from the neck down, all I could do was to emit more cheeps.’
- ‘There is one particularly loud and insistent cheep cheep that I wish I could identify.’
Make a shrill squeaky sound.
chirp, chirrup, twitter, tweet, peep, chitter, chatter, chirr, trill, warble, sing, pipeView synonyms
- ‘Finally replete and satiated, the bronze bird cheeped happily, mouth opening to reveal four flat, stubby teeth.’
- ‘The chicks had been downy and charming, and cheeped sweetly with their permanently open mouths.’
- ‘The swallow settled down next to him, cheeping softly at him as if she trusted this human and knew him.’
- ‘I let out a few screams when one flapped their wings and chittered and cheeped at me.’
- ‘The mother bird and a few others were on the roof of the house next door, cheeping with distress.’
Early 16th century (originally Scots): imitative (compare with peep).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.