One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The bone below the eye.
- ‘His dark eyes were quite sunken into his skull, making his high cheekbones very prominent.’
- ‘My cheekbones had no striking sculpture or grace, and my jaw-line no particular character.’
- ‘A vertical line ran down from just above his eyebrow to the bottom of his cheekbone.’
- ‘His chin was not as defined, but he sported a scar across one eyebrow which looked good against his high cheekbones.’
- ‘His head was bent over his knees, tufts of pale hair falling over his cheekbones and forehead.’
- ‘He was thinner, too, his cheekbones jutting out sharply from the hollows of his cheeks.’
- ‘On the other hand, I think my eyes are quite pretty and that I have good cheekbones.’
- ‘She had waist length brown hair, with hazel eyes, high cheekbones and a fair complexion.’
- ‘He raised his head slightly, his black hair limp across his cheekbones and the nape of his neck low.’
- ‘She looked thinner than before - her eye sockets were more pronounced, as were her cheekbones.’
- ‘Maybe it would make his cheekbones look sunken and athletic and sexy.’
- ‘With his soft grey eyes, enviable cheekbones and hair that tousles endearingly at the merest touch, he has all the makings of a teen idol.’
- ‘He had sharp features, with very high definition cheekbones and a sharply defined chin.’
- ‘She slipped and fell while she was out shopping, and has fractured her cheekbone, and a bone in her upper arm.’
- ‘He had good cheekbones and damn near perfect bone structure with a good strong jaw.’
- ‘She looked down at his sleeping face, the dark eyelashes that fanned his high cheekbones.’
- ‘I quickly regained my footing and rubbed at the sore spot just below my cheekbone.’
- ‘She sketched the lines of his cheekbones and carefully shaded in the delicate curve of his upper lip.’
- ‘They'd also left two gouges running diagonally across the cheekbone down to the jaw.’
- ‘Her face was angular, emaciated - the cheekbones standing out and the eyes sunken in, with no healthy rose to the skin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.