One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A digit representing the sum of the correct digits in a piece of stored or transmitted digital data, against which later comparisons can be made to detect errors in the data.
- ‘The checksums are all off, but it's only off a random bit here and there and we were able to get it all back.’
- ‘If the data has been modified without updating the checksums, then the checksums will fail to add up.’
- ‘Neither verification by comparison nor by checksum is available.’
- ‘If the incoming data is analyzed for copyright codes and checksums, scramble the bus, and/or set it to a different width.’
- ‘The use of a checksum is really minimum security considering what is involved.’
- ‘There's no information on how this is to be done; and somehow I doubt they're running checksums on all the compilers used.’
- ‘Hashing is used in many applications, from passwords and other authentication schemes, to digital signatures and certificates, to creating checksums used to validate files.’
- ‘We follow the message with a checksum, so the provider can verify (to some degree) that our message has been faithfully received.’
- ‘It calculates checksums for all files on the system and stores these fingerprints in a database.’
- ‘In some industries, for example, auditors or regulators may require time stamps, checksums or other proofs that long-term archived data has not been altered, or a record of who made any changes to it and when.’
- ‘Although a UPC number has 12 digits (implying a maximum capacity of a trillion items), the first digit is a category code that in practice is almost always, and the final digit is a checksum used for detecting errors.’
- ‘There's two things that you'll have to do every time you change a register value, you'll have to authorize the writing of the registers and re-check the checksum before writing the registers.’
- ‘One adds support for error detection codes such as checksums and cyclic redundancy codes.’
- ‘This is because packets with the same plaintext have matching checksums throughout a particular session.’
- ‘Integrity can be ensured through such software tools as checksums, parity bits, and cyclical redundancy codes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.