One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Counterbalancing influences by which an organization or system is regulated, typically those ensuring that political power is not concentrated in the hands of individuals or groups.
- ‘It forms part of the system of checks and balances against the government itself.’
- ‘It was influenced in part by its long exclusion from power, which educated it to the merits of checks and balances and a more pluralistic order.’
- ‘Associated with that is setting up a democratic system with full checks and balances.’
- ‘When democratic governments rise to power, the checks and balances of democracy usually prevent rogue action.’
- ‘To ensure the latter, the constitutional system is full of checks and balances.’
- ‘The passing of the Cold War was therefore likely to unveil a new age of power politics, untrammelled by the checks and balances of the Cold War.’
- ‘Don't they show that the checks and balances of our system are still working to protect the rule of law?’
- ‘Where is the conservative belief in limited government, in checks and balances?’
- ‘We need to make a bipartisan effort to work together and ensure proper checks and balances.’
- ‘Such measures can be implemented only by an authoritarian regime, free from any democratic checks and balances.’
- ‘We agree on so much: division of power, checks and balances, and such.’
- ‘Under the circumstances, the government would seem to lack any real checks and balances on its power.’
- ‘This, our system of checks and balances, is a fundamental trait of our current democracy.’
- ‘That was the beginning of the violation of the constitutional separation of powers and checks and balances.’
- ‘He sees the role of unions as limited to providing checks and balances within a capitalist democracy.’
- ‘New Zealand desperately needs checks and balances and a system that makes politicians accountable.’
- ‘But how do we create checks and balances in a system that yields to consumer populism?’
- ‘The current system provides good checks and balances that ensure distribution is transparent and fair.’
- ‘We live in a world where monarchy is largely a symbol and where even political power is subject to checks and balances, including media scrutiny.’
- ‘Democracy provides a system of checks and balances against any human beings getting too much power.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.