One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A valve that closes to prevent backward flow of liquid.
- ‘The answer is a bi-metallic valve that controls the opening and closing of a one-way check valve.’
- ‘The check valve prevents water already pumped up through the plumbing from draining back down into the sump well when the pump shuts off.’
- ‘Once the suction and discharge system is set up correctly, and all check valves are opened or closed as they should be, then the operation is mostly a matter of turning the key.’
- ‘It would be fairly dumb to have all that fuel on board and not be able to get at it, so I place special emphasis on the check valve O-rings in the selector.’
- ‘To get the radiant heat running, I banged on the check valves with a block of wood until the copper supply pipe got hot.’
- ‘In order to prevent water and air interaction before entering the specimen, the separate lines which carry water and air are integrated with several on/off valves and check valves.’
- ‘There is a 3-inch or 4-inch diameter intake line that brings waste into the basin, a 2-inch-diameter discharge line with a check valve to prevent backflow, and a vent pipe.’
- ‘Such materials have a number of uses, ranging from fluid-pump diaphragms to check valves and other peripheral equipment.’
- ‘The company also offers a one-way check valve that provides high flow rates across a wide range of pressures.’
- ‘In new construction, experts recommend installing pressure-reducing valves in the building to avoid over-pressurizing the system, which can shorten the life of relief valves and check valves.’
- ‘In this particular system, the liquid inlet valve acted as a two-way check valve.’
- ‘The check valve in the strainer closes immediately when the shutoff valve is closed.’
- ‘Many household faucets, plumbing fittings, check valves and well pumps are manufactured with brass parts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.