One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tough wild grass of open land, sometimes growing as a weed among cereal crops and in pasture.
- ‘These relatively undisturbed areas have shown little invasion by cheat grass and other exotics.’
- ‘There are herbicide options for cheat grass control in winter wheat but they are expensive and rarely do they have 100% control.’
- ‘Finally, supervised and unsupervised classification techniques were also used to map the cheat grass.’
- ‘Bladderpod is an annual plant and it competes poorly with cedar trees, cheat grass, and fescue.’
- ‘A pilot project to address these issues is planned for the Nowater Creek watershed that will use herbicides to control cheat grass and increase the production of native grasses and forbs.’
- ‘This problem is acute in Nevada, where the cycle of fire disturbance has spurred the invasive cheat grass to alter range and wildlife habitats.’
- ‘I have been informed by a friend the ‘Shenandoah’ is a cheat grass and is very aggressive.’
- ‘Northwest Agricultural Products is field-testing a new product to keep invasive cheat grass from re-establishing itself on part of the Hanford Reach after a fire.’
- ‘Thus, many of America's most aggressive weeds, especially in the temperate zones, come from European origins: dandelions, crabgrass, wild oats, sow thistle, kudzu, tumbleweed, plantain, cheat grass, and many others.’
- ‘The presence of cheat grass increases the occurrence of fire from every 60-100 years in native rangelands to every 3-5 years.’
- ‘The proliferation of cheat grass followed in the wake of prescribed burns done in the canyon by the forest service to push back juniper trees and improve bighorn sheep habitat.’
- ‘However, we gained a lot of insight into how significant an increase in cheat grass can be when you have the right conditions.’
Late 18th century: a local word for various wild plants, perhaps from their resemblance to the cereals among which they grew.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.