One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A garment or device designed to prevent a woman from having sexual intercourse.
- ‘The nearly fifty items included a European iron chastity belt next to an English male anti-masturbation device.’
- ‘Virginity doesn't imply being locked up with a chastity belt - today virginity means having respect for your body.’
- ‘‘I should think a chastity belt might be a good start,’ said Carolyn.’
- ‘His most controversial works are probably his anti-rape devices, which have the appearance of high tech medieval chastity belts.’
- ‘Unlike the chastity belt, which functions literally to lock up the wife's private parts, the marriage girdle functions in a figurative sense, as a sign that the woman is off limits for other men's use.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.