One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in North America) a publicly funded independent school established by teachers, parents, or community groups under the terms of a charter with a local or national authority.
- ‘A group of teachers in early March announced plans to open a charter school with a focus on students who feel discriminated against or bullied because they are different, including gay and lesbian students.’
- ‘The firm also recently designed its first school - a charter school in Escondido.’
- ‘Picture the modern university as a charter school, and you can glimpse some of the possibilities.’
- ‘In short, there do not appear to be large discrepancies between charter school and public school demographics.’
- ‘When a charter school fails to satisfy its parents and/or sponsors, it loses customers and closes down.’
- ‘In addition, by serving multiple charter schools, a trust wouldn't be crippled by the closure of a single charter school.’
- ‘Before 1999, Milwaukee authorized one charter school, with only 70 students.’
- ‘Last year I led an accreditation visit to an Arizona charter school, Tucson's Academy of Math and Science.’
- ‘The school we worked in was a charter school, which provided a bit more flexibility for teachers and students alike.’
- ‘I worked for 4 years as a teacher at Benjamin Carson Academy, which is a charter school that is housed inside of the Wayne County Juvenile Detention Facility.’
- ‘It appears that within a given geographical area lives a limited supply of entrepreneurs willing to undertake starting a charter school, a supply that peters out over time.’
- ‘Attracting students - 25 families came to the first open house - was easy compared with getting the charter school approved, hiring teachers and paying rent.’
- ‘Author and educator Marvin Hoffman teaches in a charter school affiliated with the University of Chicago.’
- ‘Unlike in proposed voucher systems, a charter school cannot charge the parents extra or promote a religion.’
- ‘Sixty-two participants were students at a charter school, and 87 were enrolled at an alternative school.’
- ‘I asked again that the charter school be put on our agenda.’
- ‘A ‘modern manifestation’ of Washington's scholastic vision is a charter school called Kipp Academy in Houston.’
- ‘High Tech High is a public charter school founded by a business coalition that raised more than $6 million for start-up.’
- ‘His foundation also had funded a shelter for abused children and a charter school, the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy.’
- ‘There's no coherent national voice explaining the charter school idea to Congress, the media, or other educators.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.