One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in North America) a publicly funded independent school established by teachers, parents, or community groups under the terms of a charter with a local or national authority.
- ‘Author and educator Marvin Hoffman teaches in a charter school affiliated with the University of Chicago.’
- ‘High Tech High is a public charter school founded by a business coalition that raised more than $6 million for start-up.’
- ‘Unlike in proposed voucher systems, a charter school cannot charge the parents extra or promote a religion.’
- ‘The firm also recently designed its first school - a charter school in Escondido.’
- ‘I worked for 4 years as a teacher at Benjamin Carson Academy, which is a charter school that is housed inside of the Wayne County Juvenile Detention Facility.’
- ‘A group of teachers in early March announced plans to open a charter school with a focus on students who feel discriminated against or bullied because they are different, including gay and lesbian students.’
- ‘It appears that within a given geographical area lives a limited supply of entrepreneurs willing to undertake starting a charter school, a supply that peters out over time.’
- ‘When a charter school fails to satisfy its parents and/or sponsors, it loses customers and closes down.’
- ‘The school we worked in was a charter school, which provided a bit more flexibility for teachers and students alike.’
- ‘I asked again that the charter school be put on our agenda.’
- ‘There's no coherent national voice explaining the charter school idea to Congress, the media, or other educators.’
- ‘Sixty-two participants were students at a charter school, and 87 were enrolled at an alternative school.’
- ‘Before 1999, Milwaukee authorized one charter school, with only 70 students.’
- ‘In short, there do not appear to be large discrepancies between charter school and public school demographics.’
- ‘Attracting students - 25 families came to the first open house - was easy compared with getting the charter school approved, hiring teachers and paying rent.’
- ‘In addition, by serving multiple charter schools, a trust wouldn't be crippled by the closure of a single charter school.’
- ‘A ‘modern manifestation’ of Washington's scholastic vision is a charter school called Kipp Academy in Houston.’
- ‘His foundation also had funded a shelter for abused children and a charter school, the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy.’
- ‘Picture the modern university as a charter school, and you can glimpse some of the possibilities.’
- ‘Last year I led an accreditation visit to an Arizona charter school, Tucson's Academy of Math and Science.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.