Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dessert made of stewed fruit or mousse with a casing or covering of bread, sponge cake, ladyfingers, or breadcrumbs.
- ‘On this day I overlooked the warm apple pie (which, having tasted before, I can safely pronounce a delicious desert) and instead went for home-made strawberry charlotte.’
- ‘This makes the delicate Biscuit Rose de Reims the ideal dipping companion of a cup of Champagne, and the perfect biscuit to use in a charlotte, in place of the classic ladyfingers.’
- ‘Impressive and particularly delicious, it was gulped down between the four of us - you know, a charlotte just doesn't keep that well.’
- ‘Place a scoop of the marzipan ice-cream next to the charlotte and drizzle some sauce around the dish.’
- ‘I pretty much wanted everything on the catalog - I mean who could resist getting mini-molds for charlottes and brioches, and a really efficient zester, and beautiful knives, and new skillets, and a special zigzag knife to cut melons?’
- ‘Tropical fruit with lime yogurt is a diet dud, and white-chocolate charlotte is precious, but you have to try the house ice-cream soda made with chocolate, fudge, soda, and a shot of whisky.’
- ‘Or go more adventurous with sweets such as duet of chocolate fruit terrine, cappuccino brulées, lichee gateaux, coffee charlotte and compote of figs in chocolate shells.’
- ‘Ironically, given the backdrop of the American Revolution, the charlotte is a dessert with roots in England.’
- ‘Afterward, chocolate-mousse cake and vanilla charlotte seem somewhat redundant.’
French, from the female given name Charlotte.
A commercial city and transportation center in southern North Carolina; population 687,456 (est. 2008)
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.