One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cramp or feeling of stiffness in an arm or leg.
- ‘And with the interruption of the body's normal nerve control, quadriplegics commonly suffer from muscle spasms - think of the worst charley horse you've ever had, one that threatens to strike at any time, in any situation.’
- ‘He's so tough that he played in the first round against the team despite a charley horse that caused significant swelling in his right thigh.’
- ‘I sighed, feeling my knees beginning to hurt and a charley horse developing in my thigh.’
- ‘The pain from the hit was like a bad charley horse and lasted a good five minutes (and would linger another three days).’
- ‘‘I just got a charley horse,’ she told him casually.’
Late 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.