One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A demand by a credit-card provider for a retailer to make good the loss on a fraudulent or disputed transaction.
- ‘Filing a chargeback or dispute with your bank will result in legal action against you.’
- ‘They say this is to protect them against fraud, chargebacks, and it also helps them with increasing their profit (by holding the money in bank for an interest).’
- ‘If you are away at the time it is sent, you lose the right to dispute the chargeback.’
- ‘As a retailer we've never been a company that has used a lot of chargebacks, for example.’
- ‘The bank contract will provide for chargebacks of amounts wrongly paid by the issuing to the retailer bank.’
- ‘The CEO believes the remaining chargebacks come not from scammers but from ‘frustrated’ customers.’
- ‘In May, the company also introduced a web service which helps banks deal with disputed payments, known as chargebacks.’
- ‘The system also reports the number of chargebacks received from the card in use and from the customer's IP address.’
- ‘If it was not, you can ask the bank to chargeback the transaction as an unauthorised deduction.’
- ‘The developers also work with banks to create repeatable custom reports that can focus on any aspect of authorizing a card or transaction, including chargebacks for disputed amounts and fraud.’
- ‘The research firm said that suspect transactions should be weeded out for manual review and money for chargebacks should be collected from card issuers.’
- 1.1 (in business use) an act or policy of allocating the cost of an organization's centrally located resources to the individuals or departments which use them.
- ‘Or a company's internal chargebacks could actually make it less expensive - at least on paper - to install new cabling dedicated to the integrated system than to use the existing company network.’
- ‘He was the suspect, as a much higher number of the credit card chargebacks appeared to relate to slips filled in by him, as compared with slips filled in by others.’
- ‘It has tools for displaying all the systems in a network, metering and chargeback, storage provisioning, performance management and linking storage boxes to servers.’
- ‘The evolution of sophisticated chargeback programs has been a boon to facility and real estate executives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.