One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An actor who specializes in playing eccentric or unusual people rather than leading roles.
- ‘He's the oddball who again proves his mettle as both a character actor and leading man.’
- ‘He should have had a long and rich career as a character actor.’
- ‘Brian Cox is a great character actor and does another superb job with his role.’
- ‘I don't mind that the movies I've been doing have been small roles, because I'm interested in a career as a character actor.’
- ‘But I've always been a character actor, so that doesn't hugely affect me.’
- ‘On his graduation in 1950 he worked as a character actor in repertory theatre, film and television.’
- ‘I've always thought of myself as a character actor.’
- ‘I've later found out that I'd much rather be a character actor, and that's what I pride myself on.’
- ‘The crowds included familiar faces from the era, including a character actor playing Winston Churchill.’
- ‘Not only does he have star quality, he also has the capacity to be a great character actor.’
- ‘As a Hollywood character actor he made his name in gangster movies, surrounded by brooding middle-aged hoodlums who cracked their knuckles and lurked sullenly at his shoulder.’
- ‘He's shown promise as a character actor in the past and he's also proven himself as a strong slapstick performer, but he fails to blend the two in this film.’
- ‘His father, the well-known character actor John Carradine, has a minor role as the owner of the train company.’
- ‘He looked like a character actor from a tense psychological thriller set in Michigan or Kansas.’
- ‘I think we have a case of a good character actor in a place where a larger-than-life leading man is needed.’
- ‘He is a wonderful combination of leading man and character actor, and I think he has that ability to transform himself in a way that most actors are not capable of doing.’
- ‘What's the best and worst part of being a character actor?’
- ‘What was it like growing up as the son of a legendary character actor?’
- ‘The popular character actor said he was really overwhelmed to have won, having been nominated ‘in a category with some great, great, great actors’.’
- ‘As an accomplished character actor, it was his total commitment to the spirit of each part that delighted critics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.