One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The idea of chaperonage makes us laugh; women are independent.’
- ‘There was a window behind the couch, and I guess her father thought that if we could see him, that was ‘chaperonage’ enough.’
- ‘Formal rituals of courting, chaperonage, and arranged marriages strictly governed relations between the sexes.’
- ‘But such chaperonage does not take place for Paraguayan Americans, who often meet at community Catholic Church activities or through educational pursuits.’
- ‘As traditional restraints on females eased, women's clothing became less restrictive and first the bicycle and then the automobile freed young couples to escape from the rigid chaperonage of previous generations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.