One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The idea of chaperonage makes us laugh; women are independent.’
- ‘As traditional restraints on females eased, women's clothing became less restrictive and first the bicycle and then the automobile freed young couples to escape from the rigid chaperonage of previous generations.’
- ‘Formal rituals of courting, chaperonage, and arranged marriages strictly governed relations between the sexes.’
- ‘But such chaperonage does not take place for Paraguayan Americans, who often meet at community Catholic Church activities or through educational pursuits.’
- ‘There was a window behind the couch, and I guess her father thought that if we could see him, that was ‘chaperonage’ enough.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.