Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of mathematics that deals with complex systems whose behavior is highly sensitive to slight changes in conditions, so that small alterations can give rise to strikingly great consequences.
- ‘Yet recent breakthroughs in chaos theory and quantum mechanics, for example, also suggest that the workings of the universe cannot be predicted with absolute precision.’
- ‘Their research is among the earliest in large parameter theory and played a role in the development of the modern theory of dynamical systems and chaos theory.’
- ‘It is a straightforward popular science treatment of the mathematics and science behind chaos theory.’
- ‘The use of chaos theory and fractal dimension analysis is widespread.’
- ‘At first we weren't talking chaos theory, but it gravitated there.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.