A French song.
song, anthem, carol, ballad, canzone, chanson, motet, chantView synonyms
- ‘Fluent in French (she also sings in German and Italian), she handles chansons such as ‘Prends Mon Coeur’ and ‘La Nuit Nen Finit Plus’ with flair and elegance, passionate yet polished.’
- ‘All sorts of music will be well represented at the festival, including concerts of Irish folk music, jazz, Parisian chansons and brass bands.’
- ‘The music performed will vary, including classical pieces, French chansons, old Italian songs, jazz and pop music.’
- ‘A second distinction is that between chansons with newly composed melodies and parodies, or retextings, of melodies originally written for other lyrics.’
- ‘Few musical genres sport the elegance of the French chanson.’
French, from Latin cantio(n-) singing from canere sing.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.