One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A child believed to have been secretly substituted by fairies for the parents' real child in infancy.
- ‘Yes, some will even begin to realize that they too are all changelings lost among the dark hollows of this bright earth, their deeper selves unknown, asleep.’
- ‘Perhaps he was rescued, and a substitute or changeling died instead?’
- ‘They carry off mortals, most often children, if they are beautiful or otherwise exceptional, leaving a changeling behind.’
- ‘It's a simple, blunt question for a person who felt like a changeling in someone else's family.’
- ‘In the Middle Ages, deformed infants were looked upon as changelings.’
- ‘If placed in a cradle it will protect the child from being stolen by fairies and replaced with changelings.’
- ‘So her heroine begins as the deserted changeling waiting to be rescued, and goes through cycles of wickedness and distraction before finding her destiny.’
- ‘The changelings look identical, but the human mother can tell that it is not really her human baby, because it is far more sulky and difficult.’
- ‘Titania first appears in a blue silk ball gown, carrying the changeling as a baby.’
- ‘As in the Bard's plot, there is the Fairy King Oberon at odds over a changeling boy with his Fairy Queen Titanis and a number of starcrossed lovers in The Faerie Queen.’
- ‘Despite her good deeds, this wizened enchantress's sinister duality surfaces when she senses the threat of a changeling among the Quinn clan.’
- ‘Fielding himself could be a changeling, or some mischief-making elf out to screw with everyone's minds.’
- ‘The quarreling between Oberon and Titania over the changeling boy leads to the king wanting to embarrass Titania with the love juice by making her fall in love with a monster.’
- ‘But David was just supposed to be a mechanical changeling.’
- ‘If the narrator is both the mother and the child, it can be said that there is only one, multi-voiced character all along, a trickster-like changeling.’
- ‘Physically and metaphorically these two changelings are very different.’
- ‘I don't know if she's a changeling as well, but we'll soon find out, won't we?’
- ‘Oberon reports to Robin that the enchanted Titania has given him the changeling, and proceeds to undo the spell: waking, Titania at first thinks her passion for Bottom was a dream before seeing him asleep.’
- ‘The changeling is the quintessential symbol of the child who feels detached from her family.’
- ‘Stevie and Mikie had been known to enquire whether they were in fact changelings, as they looked nothing like any known relative on either side.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.