One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The warehouse or store of a chandler.
- ‘He took over the chandlery in 1866 on Strong's retirement.’
- ‘The days fly by with prolific shopping trips to outdoor equipment specialists, chemists, chandleries, map shops and book stores.’
- ‘While the marina is within a 5-minute walk to the French side capitol of Marigot, the complex will also include marine services like chandleries and provisioning.’
- ‘Bill and Betty were totally dedicated to the Royal Varuna, occupying for some two decades the apartment on the north side under which Bill ran his famous chandlery.’
- ‘Shock and disbelief accompanied the news that An Bord Pleanala has granted permission for the development of a 50 berth marine, clubhouse, chandlery, storage, parking and associated site works at Keelbeg Pier, Ballincolla, Union Hall.’
- ‘Part of Pearl Harbor's duty of being the Pacific Fleet's chandlery was the stocking and disbursing of oil.’
- ‘The restoration of the old pier will allow for the mooring of craft up to 130 feet long, while a new marina village will include shops, a chandlery, bar and restaurant.’
- ‘Numerous suppliers like Budget Marine and Marine Warehouse, plus smaller chandleries, make a boater's life ashore slightly easier.’
- ‘It was the shirt his marina crew had presented him with on the day the chandlery had opened, printed with a large ace of hearts playing card, across which was emblazoned, ‘Ace of Parts'.’
- ‘Norman, who is chandlery manager said that ‘it feels like an ironic kick in the teeth’ particularly as a workable management plan should have been formulated 15 years ago.’
- ‘It looks well maintained and now has wonderful restaurants, cafés, and a big duty-free chandlery.’
- ‘And at Durn, further east along the canal, there could be a boatyard, long and short-term moorings, a chandlery, workshops and town houses and apartments.’
- ‘Ultimately, he wants to find bigger premises and set up a chandlery, a facility lacking on the reopened Rochdale Canal.’
- ‘But he had his own ship's chandlery in New Bedford, so he understood business.’
- ‘The businesses related to these sectors like taxi drivers, grocery stores, day charters and chandleries will suffer as well.’
- ‘He said the upgrading of facilities at the Marina provided participants with ‘a fabulous on site chandlery that was frequented throughout the ARC.’’
- ‘For a 100 berth marina with a dry dock and workshop in full use and a chandlery and boat sales operation, the marina should employ 10 people.’
- 1.1 Goods sold by a chandler.
- ‘He extended his business to include ship's chandlery, brokerage and the sale and export of coal.’
- ‘Frankie Byrne is the local of supplier of nets and chandlery in the area.’
- ‘The upstairs was used for the Boatmans Locker, a boating accessories and chandlery shop run by Joe and Mary Barker.’
- ‘He now runs a successful net and chandlery business with the assistance of his wife Rita as secretary.’
- ‘They supplied crab pots and general chandlery.’
- ‘Two doorways opened out the back of the room, leading to their chandlery shop and an outhouse.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.