One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mechanical power-driven cutting tool with teeth set on a chain which moves around the edge of a blade.
- ‘They took lawn mowers, strimmers, chainsaws, as well as drills and tools totalling about £3,000.’
- ‘Red Cross centres are also running low on supplies, with shortages of water tanks, pumps, hoses, chainsaws and hand tools.’
- ‘Here the construction never ceases: chainsaws, lawn mowers, and leaf blowers are in perpetual motion, as if there were no days, and never Sundays.’
- ‘I use chainsaws and sanders - working with those for hours can really do you in.’
- ‘He uses green timber, and works as a sculptor, with chainsaws and blow torches, celebrating the grain of the wood.’
- ‘I should state that I work with chainsaws, axes, and many sharp tools.’
- ‘The loggers come to the forest with mechanical chainsaws, cut the trees down indiscriminately and load them onto trucks before leaving the forest as if nothing had happened.’
- ‘Some got out of the van armed with spray-paint cans while others came out carrying metal bats, chainsaws, hatchets and sledgehammers.’
- ‘She was currently what can only be described as hacking the beast up, using the delicate surgery use tools like hatchets and chainsaws.’
- ‘He used chainsaws and hand chisels during the work.’
- ‘Behind this thin veil of trees, chainsaws, mechanical diggers and gold-rush fever have taken their toll.’
- ‘That is the case with dangerous tools, such as lawn mowers, chainsaws, and automobiles.’
- ‘The rest bring their own pruning saws, chainsaws, rakes, trimmers, blowers and whatever else is needed and do the work that is set out in the yearly planner.’
- ‘Industry turned from the manufacture of tanks and other war materiel to the manufacture of log skidders, Caterpillar tractors, and chainsaws.’
- ‘Ice-divers in Canada use chainsaws, but a chainsaw would not be much use on a wreck.’
- ‘Among the huge haul of tools taken from Mr Walker's farm were two chainsaws, jacks, grinders and spanners.’
- ‘Please take extreme care outdoors at the moment, and ensure that any equipment you use such as tractors, mowers, brush cutters and chainsaws are safe from spark ignition.’
- ‘Labor's newest recruit has given support to a proposed pulp mill, but wants chainsaws kept away from the state's oldest timber.’
- ‘According to the Killarney councillor, a practice has emerged in recent years of using handsaws axes and even chainsaws to cut holly branches.’
- ‘When the design is finalised, Paul moves in with his chainsaw.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.