One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mechanical power-driven cutting tool with teeth set on a chain which moves around the edge of a blade.
- ‘Industry turned from the manufacture of tanks and other war materiel to the manufacture of log skidders, Caterpillar tractors, and chainsaws.’
- ‘The loggers come to the forest with mechanical chainsaws, cut the trees down indiscriminately and load them onto trucks before leaving the forest as if nothing had happened.’
- ‘Labor's newest recruit has given support to a proposed pulp mill, but wants chainsaws kept away from the state's oldest timber.’
- ‘Behind this thin veil of trees, chainsaws, mechanical diggers and gold-rush fever have taken their toll.’
- ‘They took lawn mowers, strimmers, chainsaws, as well as drills and tools totalling about £3,000.’
- ‘The rest bring their own pruning saws, chainsaws, rakes, trimmers, blowers and whatever else is needed and do the work that is set out in the yearly planner.’
- ‘When the design is finalised, Paul moves in with his chainsaw.’
- ‘He uses green timber, and works as a sculptor, with chainsaws and blow torches, celebrating the grain of the wood.’
- ‘That is the case with dangerous tools, such as lawn mowers, chainsaws, and automobiles.’
- ‘I should state that I work with chainsaws, axes, and many sharp tools.’
- ‘He used chainsaws and hand chisels during the work.’
- ‘Here the construction never ceases: chainsaws, lawn mowers, and leaf blowers are in perpetual motion, as if there were no days, and never Sundays.’
- ‘Ice-divers in Canada use chainsaws, but a chainsaw would not be much use on a wreck.’
- ‘Among the huge haul of tools taken from Mr Walker's farm were two chainsaws, jacks, grinders and spanners.’
- ‘Red Cross centres are also running low on supplies, with shortages of water tanks, pumps, hoses, chainsaws and hand tools.’
- ‘According to the Killarney councillor, a practice has emerged in recent years of using handsaws axes and even chainsaws to cut holly branches.’
- ‘Some got out of the van armed with spray-paint cans while others came out carrying metal bats, chainsaws, hatchets and sledgehammers.’
- ‘I use chainsaws and sanders - working with those for hours can really do you in.’
- ‘She was currently what can only be described as hacking the beast up, using the delicate surgery use tools like hatchets and chainsaws.’
- ‘Please take extreme care outdoors at the moment, and ensure that any equipment you use such as tractors, mowers, brush cutters and chainsaws are safe from spark ignition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.