One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of convicts chained together while working outside the prison.
- ‘Directed by the Coen Brothers, the film is set in depression-era Mississippi and follows the trails of three convicts who escape a chain gang and go in search of buried treasure.’
- ‘Joker Jackson and Noah Cullen are two convicts chained together in the back of a truck heading for work on a chain gang.’
- ‘We would say applying community standards, one would expect the community would be unaware of that other than seeing a television report of a chain gang in Georgia.’
- ‘Alex Lichtenstein sees an essential continuity between the convict lease system and the chain gang in Georgia.’
- ‘If they spend 30 days on the chain gang, picking up trash, weeding or burying bodies, they can get out of the punishment cells and live in… tents.’
- ‘He spent three weeks on a chain gang for doing so.’
- ‘Then we were given some prisoner's uniforms, very similar to the uniforms a prison chain gang used to wear here.’
- ‘Following his arrest, he is tried, convicted, and sentenced to one year on a prison chain gang in a distant parish.’
- ‘So you can, for instance, legally gamble 24 hours a day in Nevada and New Jersey, but try to open a casino in some southern states and you may find yourself on the chain gang.’
- ‘Of greater significance was the parole system, introduced in 1908, the same year as convict leasing was abolished and the chain gang introduced.’
- ‘In fact, I feel like I've been off of work for about a year, and that year was spent working on a chain gang or holding my breath underwater.’
- ‘The chant that the chain gang sings, is ‘Black Water’ by the Doobie Brothers.’
- ‘George Clooney and some cheeky chappies escape from a '30s chain gang and sing Deep South ballads while having misadventure after misadventure.’
- ‘They were to be taken away to the chain gang in a week or so.’
- ‘The film concerns two escapees from a chain gang, one black and one white, who are forced to cooperate with one another to avoid capture.’
- ‘The warden of prisons was contacted for information on the convict's behavior on the chain gang, or in a few cases on the State Farm.’
- ‘The portrayal of Boss Godfrey as the prison guard who never speaks but constantly surveys the chain gang through reflector sunglasses epitomises the sinister pervasiveness that is prison.’
- ‘The next scene, playing under the credits, is of the typical, grueling road work forced upon prisoners - an imprisonment which reflects the authentic horrors of life on a chain gang in a Southern prison.’
- ‘Soon, he too fell asleep to the sound of the chain gang.’
- ‘By May the walks and curbs had been completed, the chain gang having made ‘a pretty job’ of it and cheaply too.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.