Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Compact fluorescent light (or lamp)
- ‘A CFL can replace an incandescent bulb with up to four times its wattage, resulting in a 75 percent energy savings.’
- ‘Replace the light bulbs in your highest-usage lights with CFL bulbs.’
- ‘CFL bulbs contain small amounts of mercury, so it's important they be recycled properly.’
- ‘The compact fluorescent bulb (CFL) has revolutionized people's perceptions of fluorescent light by moving away from awkward tube fixtures and glare-prone light.’
- ‘They require no special wiring or sockets; just unscrew your old incandescent bulb, screw in a new CFL, and start saving kilowatt hours.’
- ‘A 15-watt CFL bulb yields as much light as a 75-watt incandescent.’
- ‘Although a CFL bulb may cost $10 and an incandescent bulb only 75 cents, consumers who leave their lights on for four hours a day will realize a $5.85 savings after the second year.’
- ‘Choose a CFL that's one-fourth of the wattage of your old incandescent bulb.’
- ‘CFL flood lamps, reflectors, dimmable bulbs, bug lights, decor globes, candelabras, and three-way bulbs are direct replacements for their incandescent counterparts.’
- ‘After 122 years, Thomas Edison's incandescent electric lightbulb is yielding to a more energy-efficient bulb: the compact fluorescent light (CFL).’
2Canadian Football League.
- ‘The Alouettes are attempting to become just the second team in CFL history to finish with a perfect record.’
- ‘His father, Jack, a successful contractor, played centre for the CFL Hamilton Tiger Cats in the forties.’
- ‘No one loves their CFL team as much as the citizens of Saskatchewan.’
- ‘CFL talent has increased his appreciation for the Canadian sport.’
- ‘The B.C. Lions of the CFL will host this year's kickoff events at the Shrum Bowl.’
- ‘The CFL proves that a sports league where no one is in it for the money can thrive in an entertainment-jaded age.’
- ‘The CFL and NFL have the same rule, giving major penalties (15 yards) for needlessly attacking the kicker within a five-yard radius.’
- ‘The first official CFL game was played on Thursday, August 14, 1958, between the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the Edmonton Eskimos in front of 18,206 spectators.’
- ‘Going to Sundance to promote Canadian film is a bit like going to the Super Bowl to promote the CFL.’
- ‘The CFL doesn't leave fans arguing over who is at fault for ridiculous player salaries, outrageous profits or the viability of small-market teams.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.