One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A waxy alcohol occurring in feces and esterified in spermaceti and wool wax. It is used in cosmetics and as an emulsifier.
Chemical formula: CH₃(CH₂)₁₅OH
- ‘A new agent promoted for osteoarthritis treatment is cetyl myristoleate, a material synthesized from cetyl alcohol and myristoleic acid.’
- ‘Mossies and midges are attracted to the carbon dioxide and various cetyl alcohols you give off especially from your toes (hence excessive ankle biting).’
- ‘Suppositories with a cetyl alcohol content higher than 40%, however, were not deformed at body temperature.’
- ‘Compounds which function as wetting agents, such as, for example, pharmaceutically acceptable detergents and cetyl alcohols also are contemplated for use with the inventive formulations.’
- ‘Emollients can include a host of ingredients from silicone oils to cetyl alcohols, cholesterol, mineral oil, silicone oils, vitamin E, some waxy esters and certain quaternary compounds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.