One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A waxy alcohol occurring in feces and esterified in spermaceti and wool wax. It is used in cosmetics and as an emulsifier.
Chemical formula: CH₃(CH₂)₁₅OH
- ‘Emollients can include a host of ingredients from silicone oils to cetyl alcohols, cholesterol, mineral oil, silicone oils, vitamin E, some waxy esters and certain quaternary compounds.’
- ‘Mossies and midges are attracted to the carbon dioxide and various cetyl alcohols you give off especially from your toes (hence excessive ankle biting).’
- ‘A new agent promoted for osteoarthritis treatment is cetyl myristoleate, a material synthesized from cetyl alcohol and myristoleic acid.’
- ‘Compounds which function as wetting agents, such as, for example, pharmaceutically acceptable detergents and cetyl alcohols also are contemplated for use with the inventive formulations.’
- ‘Suppositories with a cetyl alcohol content higher than 40%, however, were not deformed at body temperature.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.