Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A marine mammal of the order "Cetacea"; a whale, dolphin, or porpoise.
- ‘Odontocete cetaceans rely upon echolocation to sense the environment and detect prey.’
- ‘Killer whales also prey on mammals such as other cetaceans and pinnipeds, as well as on birds and large fish.’
- ‘Marine vertebrates including tunas, seabirds, sharks, sea turtles, pinnipeds and cetaceans use a pelagic ecosystem we barely understand.’
- ‘Within odontocete cetaceans, variation in body design affects stability and turning performance.’
- ‘Previous paleontological and molecular evidence has indicated that cetaceans and artiodactyls constitute a natural clade within the subclass Eutheria.’
Relating to or denoting cetaceans.
- ‘In many ways, the cetacean ear is radically different from the ear of terrestrial mammals.’
- ‘She noted that government scientists investigating a number of cetacean beachings had attributed them to naval exercises involving mid-frequency sonar.’
- ‘No ancient DNA has yet been used for cetacean systematics.’
- ‘People in coastal communities are often surprised to learn just how rich our waters are in terms of providing habitat for a diversity of cetacean species.’
- ‘Arguments that behavioral data are fundamentally no different from other kinds of anatomical or molecular data used for systematics should also impact cetacean phylogenetics.’
- ‘The research is based on cetacean fossils representing four groups of early whales.’
- ‘Morton's text is generous with information about cetacean life in general and observations of killer-whale behavior in particular.’
- ‘A significant percentage of cetacean products on sale in Japan have been shown to be highly polluted, posing a potential health threat to consumers.’
- ‘The wildlife watch event provides the group with a snapshot overview of cetacean activity around the Irish coast on a single day.’
- ‘The story focuses on Nathan Quinn, a cetacean biologist trying to figure out what whale song means.’
- ‘Further studies will be needed to finally identify the role of the diaphragm in cetacean ventilation.’
- ‘Despite the questions that remain, Bowles and many cetacean experts endorse pingers because they clearly save animals' lives.’
- ‘In addition to cortical lobes recognized as fronto-orbital, temporal, and occipital, cetacean mammals present an additional lobe on the inferior surface of each cerebral hemisphere.’
- ‘Cetacean evolution is one of several transitions across the land-water barrier documented in the history of vertebrate evolution.’
- ‘Hans Thewissen and Philip Gingerich are excellent paleontologists who have recently changed our whole picture of cetacean evolution.’
- ‘Our findings suggest that several regions of the cetacean cytochrome b protein have experienced molecular adaptation.’
- ‘To work for closer integration of environmental concerns into fisheries management including a reduction in small cetacean casualties.’
- ‘Most cetacean studies lack the detail of studies on terrestrial species.’
- ‘Our future response to these and other threats will determine whether most cetacean species survive.’
- ‘The great depths also attract most of the cetacean species seen off the North Sulawesi coast, including migrating sperm whales.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.