One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wicker basket used in the game of jai alai to catch and throw the ball.
- ‘The place of the tennis racquet and baseball bat is taken by a instrument called a cesta.’
- ‘If a player doesn't feel comfortable with a given cesta, he most likely won't play well on the court.’
- ‘Basque handball is similar to the popular game of jai alai except that the bare hand rather than a jai alai cesta, or basket, is used to hit the ball.’
- ‘Institute of Botany, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dúbravská cesta 14, SK - 84223 Bratislava, Slovak Republic’
- ‘The players use a cesta, or basket, made from Spanish chestnut and reeds to throw the ball up to the blistering speed of 188 miles per hour.’
- ‘` Io piangendo ti presi, et in breve cesta’
- ‘A Jai-Alai player's confidence, or lack of it, in his cesta can vastly affect the way he plays.’
- ‘When a player finds a cesta he really likes, it can greatly help breed success.’
- ‘Each cesta is a work of art, and no two are exactly alike.’
- ‘The cesta is a woven masterpiece.’
- ‘The cesta is strapped on the hand of the player, and the ball can be hurled with terrific force with it. '’
- ‘Is the cesta really that important?’
- ‘Institute of Botany, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dúbravská cesta 14, SK - 84223, Bratislava, Slovakia’
- ‘It looked more like a jai-lai cesta than a fielder's glove and far exceeded the 12-inch limit from the tip to heel.’
- ‘There is no time for thought, no room for error for the brave men thatstrap on the cesta and march into the serve box to make theirliving.’
- ‘My other brother was playing cesta punta, he was a pelotari [ Basque handball player ].’
- ‘Institute of Botany, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dúbravská cesta 14, SK - 842 23 - Bratislava, Slovakia’
- ‘Yes, you have said that your brother was a professional cesta punta player.’
- ‘Sometimes a player will drop or throw a couple of errant balls and keep staring at his cesta, uttering unknown phrases at this inanimate object.’
- ‘No, first he went to Miami, Florida, because he played cesta punta [ Basque ball game ] in Miami during his studies in the University over there.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.