One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wicker basket used in the game of jai alai to catch and throw the ball.
- ‘Basque handball is similar to the popular game of jai alai except that the bare hand rather than a jai alai cesta, or basket, is used to hit the ball.’
- ‘Yes, you have said that your brother was a professional cesta punta player.’
- ‘When a player finds a cesta he really likes, it can greatly help breed success.’
- ‘The cesta is strapped on the hand of the player, and the ball can be hurled with terrific force with it. '’
- ‘Institute of Botany, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dúbravská cesta 14, SK - 84223, Bratislava, Slovakia’
- ‘` Io piangendo ti presi, et in breve cesta’
- ‘Institute of Botany, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dúbravská cesta 14, SK - 84223 Bratislava, Slovak Republic’
- ‘Each cesta is a work of art, and no two are exactly alike.’
- ‘My other brother was playing cesta punta, he was a pelotari [ Basque handball player ].’
- ‘No, first he went to Miami, Florida, because he played cesta punta [ Basque ball game ] in Miami during his studies in the University over there.’
- ‘The cesta is a woven masterpiece.’
- ‘It looked more like a jai-lai cesta than a fielder's glove and far exceeded the 12-inch limit from the tip to heel.’
- ‘Sometimes a player will drop or throw a couple of errant balls and keep staring at his cesta, uttering unknown phrases at this inanimate object.’
- ‘The players use a cesta, or basket, made from Spanish chestnut and reeds to throw the ball up to the blistering speed of 188 miles per hour.’
- ‘The place of the tennis racquet and baseball bat is taken by a instrument called a cesta.’
- ‘Is the cesta really that important?’
- ‘If a player doesn't feel comfortable with a given cesta, he most likely won't play well on the court.’
- ‘A Jai-Alai player's confidence, or lack of it, in his cesta can vastly affect the way he plays.’
- ‘Institute of Botany, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dúbravská cesta 14, SK - 842 23 - Bratislava, Slovakia’
- ‘There is no time for thought, no room for error for the brave men thatstrap on the cesta and march into the serve box to make theirliving.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.