Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The narrow necklike passage forming the lower end of the uterus.
- ‘A balloon catheter is inserted vaginally through the cervix and into the uterus.’
- ‘The Cervical Caps are placed in the cervix to block the passage of the sperm to the uterus.’
- ‘The early embryos (fertilized eggs) are then transferred to the uterus through the cervix, or into a fallopian tube.’
- ‘The smear, or Pap test, identifies early changes in the cells of your cervix - the lower part of the womb - which if not discovered and treated can become cancerous.’
- ‘Physical findings include a normal or slightly enlarged uterus, pelvic pain with movement of the cervix and a palpable adnexal mass.’
- ‘Smoking is also associated with cancers of the mouth, pharynx, larynx, esophagus, stomach, pancreas, cervix, kidney, ureter, and bladder.’
- ‘This makes it very difficult for sperm to travel through the cervix and into the womb.’
- ‘The cervix forms the lower third, connected by a narrow isthmus to the main muscular body of the uterus.’
- ‘Both of these techniques can be used throughout pregnancy to allow a closer look at the cervix and lower uterus.’
- ‘Some women get warts or changes in the cervix (the opening to the womb), vulva (a woman's outer genital area), or anus.’
- ‘Second-trimester miscarriage often is caused by problems with the uterus (such as an abnormally shaped uterus) or by a weakened cervix that dilates prematurely.’
- ‘This uses a narrow flexible or rigid telescope called a hysteroscope, which is passed into the vagina, through the cervix and into the uterus.’
- ‘A post box is a public container for the deposit of outgoing mail, and a vagina is the passage leading from the opening of the vulva to the cervix of the uterus in female mammals.’
- ‘It makes the mucus in your cervix (entrance to the womb) get thicker.’
- ‘The IUD is inserted through the cervix and into the womb, while the vagina is held open as in a cervical smear test.’
- ‘Once the anaesthetic has taken effect, the hysteroscope is gently passed through the cervix and into the womb itself.’
- ‘No other abnormalities were detected in the cervix, uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes.’
- ‘This is a major operation in which the cervix and womb are removed.’
- ‘Smoking has been linked to increased risks for several cancers, including cancer of the cervix, vulva, oropharynx, bladder, pancreas, liver, kidneys, and colorectal system.’
- ‘The mobility of the urethra, bladder, cervix, and rectal ampulla were determined by ultrasound measurements in the supine position, after voiding, and on Valsalva maneuver.’
- 1.1technical The neck.
- 1.2A part of other bodily organs resembling a neck.
Mid 18th century: Latin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.