1The narrow necklike passage forming the lower end of the uterus.
- ‘A balloon catheter is inserted vaginally through the cervix and into the uterus.’
- ‘The Cervical Caps are placed in the cervix to block the passage of the sperm to the uterus.’
- ‘The early embryos (fertilized eggs) are then transferred to the uterus through the cervix, or into a fallopian tube.’
- ‘The smear, or Pap test, identifies early changes in the cells of your cervix - the lower part of the womb - which if not discovered and treated can become cancerous.’
- ‘Physical findings include a normal or slightly enlarged uterus, pelvic pain with movement of the cervix and a palpable adnexal mass.’
- ‘Smoking is also associated with cancers of the mouth, pharynx, larynx, esophagus, stomach, pancreas, cervix, kidney, ureter, and bladder.’
- ‘This makes it very difficult for sperm to travel through the cervix and into the womb.’
- ‘The cervix forms the lower third, connected by a narrow isthmus to the main muscular body of the uterus.’
- ‘Both of these techniques can be used throughout pregnancy to allow a closer look at the cervix and lower uterus.’
- ‘Some women get warts or changes in the cervix (the opening to the womb), vulva (a woman's outer genital area), or anus.’
- ‘Second-trimester miscarriage often is caused by problems with the uterus (such as an abnormally shaped uterus) or by a weakened cervix that dilates prematurely.’
- ‘This uses a narrow flexible or rigid telescope called a hysteroscope, which is passed into the vagina, through the cervix and into the uterus.’
- ‘A post box is a public container for the deposit of outgoing mail, and a vagina is the passage leading from the opening of the vulva to the cervix of the uterus in female mammals.’
- ‘It makes the mucus in your cervix (entrance to the womb) get thicker.’
- ‘The IUD is inserted through the cervix and into the womb, while the vagina is held open as in a cervical smear test.’
- ‘Once the anaesthetic has taken effect, the hysteroscope is gently passed through the cervix and into the womb itself.’
- ‘No other abnormalities were detected in the cervix, uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes.’
- ‘This is a major operation in which the cervix and womb are removed.’
- ‘Smoking has been linked to increased risks for several cancers, including cancer of the cervix, vulva, oropharynx, bladder, pancreas, liver, kidneys, and colorectal system.’
- ‘The mobility of the urethra, bladder, cervix, and rectal ampulla were determined by ultrasound measurements in the supine position, after voiding, and on Valsalva maneuver.’
- 1.1technical The neck.
- 1.2A part of other bodily organs resembling a neck.
Mid 18th century: Latin.