Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The narrow necklike passage forming the lower end of the uterus.
- ‘The IUD is inserted through the cervix and into the womb, while the vagina is held open as in a cervical smear test.’
- ‘The early embryos (fertilized eggs) are then transferred to the uterus through the cervix, or into a fallopian tube.’
- ‘The mobility of the urethra, bladder, cervix, and rectal ampulla were determined by ultrasound measurements in the supine position, after voiding, and on Valsalva maneuver.’
- ‘The Cervical Caps are placed in the cervix to block the passage of the sperm to the uterus.’
- ‘Second-trimester miscarriage often is caused by problems with the uterus (such as an abnormally shaped uterus) or by a weakened cervix that dilates prematurely.’
- ‘Smoking has been linked to increased risks for several cancers, including cancer of the cervix, vulva, oropharynx, bladder, pancreas, liver, kidneys, and colorectal system.’
- ‘Once the anaesthetic has taken effect, the hysteroscope is gently passed through the cervix and into the womb itself.’
- ‘A balloon catheter is inserted vaginally through the cervix and into the uterus.’
- ‘Physical findings include a normal or slightly enlarged uterus, pelvic pain with movement of the cervix and a palpable adnexal mass.’
- ‘A post box is a public container for the deposit of outgoing mail, and a vagina is the passage leading from the opening of the vulva to the cervix of the uterus in female mammals.’
- ‘The smear, or Pap test, identifies early changes in the cells of your cervix - the lower part of the womb - which if not discovered and treated can become cancerous.’
- ‘Some women get warts or changes in the cervix (the opening to the womb), vulva (a woman's outer genital area), or anus.’
- ‘This is a major operation in which the cervix and womb are removed.’
- ‘The cervix forms the lower third, connected by a narrow isthmus to the main muscular body of the uterus.’
- ‘This makes it very difficult for sperm to travel through the cervix and into the womb.’
- ‘This uses a narrow flexible or rigid telescope called a hysteroscope, which is passed into the vagina, through the cervix and into the uterus.’
- ‘No other abnormalities were detected in the cervix, uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes.’
- ‘Smoking is also associated with cancers of the mouth, pharynx, larynx, esophagus, stomach, pancreas, cervix, kidney, ureter, and bladder.’
- ‘It makes the mucus in your cervix (entrance to the womb) get thicker.’
- ‘Both of these techniques can be used throughout pregnancy to allow a closer look at the cervix and lower uterus.’
- 1.1technical The neck.
- 1.2 A part of other bodily organs resembling a neck.
Mid 18th century: Latin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.