A mammal of the deer family ("Cervidae")
- ‘Although no reindeer have ever been affected by chronic wasting disease, many states have closed their borders to all members of the cervid family - including deer, elk, moose, and reindeer.’
- ‘Musk deer are similar to cervids in many respects and are often classified as a subfamily of the Cervidae.’
- ‘As mentioned above, the comparison of the hypsodonty values of cervids with those of modern deer suggests that the cervids were mixed feeders or browsers from closed habitats.’
- ‘The cervids include deer and their allies, including familiar moose, elk, and caribou.’
- ‘Currently, species working groups have been established for beef and dairy cattle, bison, camelids, cervids, equine, goats, poultry, sheep and swine.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Cervidae (plural), from Latin cervus deer.