One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A postal service in which the sending and receipt of a letter or package are recorded.
- ‘Follow up phone calls in writing, using certified mail.’
- ‘After seven weeks, another survey was sent by certified mail.’
- ‘Mitnick's password was quickly revoked, and a few days later he received a letter in certified mail from the ISSA's headquarters informing him that news of his acceptance was greatly exaggerated.’
- ‘If your lease has the proper wording, at least 30 days prior to the sale you must send notice to the tenant at his last known address, by both first class mail and certified mail, return receipt requested.’
- ‘I immediately wrote to Larry King, with copies to Randi and Sylvia, and Randi sent the following letter to both by certified mail.’
- ‘Using smart cards and passwords as a means of identifying both the sender and receiver, the U.S. Postal Service began Jan. 21 to offer an electronic version of certified mail called NetPost Certified.’
- ‘If you anticipate resistance, make your request by certified mail; you can sue and win a $100-a-day fine if the plan doesn't deliver the form within 30 days.’
- ‘Send a letter of complaint with copies of your evidence about why it's wrong to the creditor and all three of the credit bureaus by certified mail, return receipt requested.’
- ‘The documents that go to the Secretary of State's office should be hand delivered to the Sacramento office or sent via certified mail, with return receipt required.’
- ‘When filing my federal income tax return, will I have any problems if I mail it without using registered or certified mail?’
- ‘Two weeks after the second mail-out, a third questionnaire was sent by certified mail and phone calls were made to determine willingness to participate.’
- ‘Further, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission recommends sending notice by certified mail, especially if there's no immediate response or an unsatisfactory one.’
- ‘I still have it, though, along with the letter from the hospital sent by certified mail informing me that I needed a CAT scan on my sinuses.’
- ‘The Hong Kong meeting was called to discuss cooperation on certified mail and professional certification.’
- ‘To ensure your entry is received, we recommend you send it via certified mail with a return receipt.’
- ‘Very few, if indeed any, central stations will knowingly fail to respond to an alarm signal, without several notification attempts by mail, telephone and finally certified mail with return receipt.’
- ‘Then, send the affidavit, police report and copies of supporting information to each credit bureau by certified mail with a return receipt.’
- ‘The winner will be notified within thirty days via certified mail.’
- ‘Here is that letter, re-sent - by certified mail - just this week.’
- ‘P.S. - Please initialize this and return it via certified mail.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.